We all know the importance of fitting in fitness to our daily routines. But often, we forget one of the most important parts of exercise – stretching. When we fail to include stretching within our daily routine, it can cause a variety of problems within the body. Your muscles tighten up; your joints become stiff; you experience a decreased range of motion; you are at an increased risk of injury; it affects your posture. In general, things don’t work as well as they can when you strengthen but don’t stretch. Incorporating some of these tips into your daily routine can help you feel and move better.
- Stretch as often as possible. Setting up a routine will ensure you are consistent: Morning, mid-day, evening – whenever you have the time.
- Set reminders on your phone or computer to help you remember to stretch.
- Don’t stretch cold muscles. A few minutes of warming up can do wonders to decrease risk of injury and increase range of motion.
- Don’t forget to stretch after you exercise. Reward your muscles for the hard work they did.
- Hold each stretch for 30 seconds.
- Move slowly into each stretch – don’t bounce.
- Stop if it hurts. Stretching should FEEL GOOD.
Do you need a recommendation for what muscles need stretching or how to stretch? Just ask one of our Doctors or personal trainers here at King Street Chiropractic Wellness Center what is appropriate for you.